Tuesday, June 23, 2015

So How's Your Love Life?

Most Christians if asked about their “love quotient” would agree that they can stand to grow in love.  We might say we need to do a better job of loving unbelievers and people at work.   We struggle to love those difficult neighbors or in-laws who know how to "push our buttons."  But how do we love other Christians, especially those we worship corporately with?  There seems to be an unspoken rule that believers are expected to behave (toward us) in such a way that doesn't trouble us too much.  "I can take it at work, because most of them aren't in Christ.  But when I come to church, I expect it to be a place of safety."  How many of us have either uttered those words or have heard them while counseling a hurting friend?
Should that be our expectation?  Are Christians held to a higher standard as we walk out our faith with one another?  Let's get more personal.  What expectation do we as Christian women have of one another?   Are we expected to love one another and be considerate with our words at all times?  Isn't that what the Scriptures teach?  True Christian love is considerate and thoughtful.  It doesn’t seek to promote itself while unwittingly putting others down.  As we review 1 Corinthians 13, we can indeed say that Christian love is kind, compassionate and considerate. 
So what happens when our sister is wanting in the love department?  How do I react?  What is my response?  Do I keep an account for her many infractions against me (I mean...against God)?  Or has my love been stretched enough to make up for what she is lacking?  What does Peter mean when he says to love one another "fervently" with a love that will cover a multitude of sins?" 
Have you ever harbored any of the following thoughts?
        I don't fit in at this church
        The women of this church all seem.....
        I know she doesn't like me so I'll just be cordial and keep my distance
        They don't like me
        What did she mean by that comment about my blouse?
        She just thinks she is so.....
        I'm too progressive of a thinker for these women
        I don't measure up
        They don't measure up

These thoughts are planted by the evil one.  His goal is to keep us from thinking the best of one another and covering each other's faults with love.
Before we close, maybe you don't struggle to love the women in your church.  Perhaps your Christian experience has been conflict free and you want to keep it that way (smile).   Could it be because your life has not been "messied up" by our mess?  Perhaps you didn't know that sister Abigail has just lost her mom and she's devastated.  Or that Susan has just learned tragic news about her daughter.  It's easy to erect walls that protect us from being hurt or being inconvenienced.   After all, your life is busy already with the cares of your home, work and family. But that is Satan's robbery.   You are needed to minister healing to the body of Christ.  Hatred is not the opposite of love; apathy is. 
So again, How is your love life?



No comments:

Post a Comment